Sunday, August 12, 2007

Stake Conference


One of my favorite things in life are just having conversations with my kids. To find out what is going on in their lives, and how they feel and think about things. We talk all the time. If you know me at all you will be really surprised by that I am sure. ha ha. Anyway, my favorite conversation today happened on paper. We were in stake conference and jacob had a notepad with paper and drawing. I grabbed it and wrote this question.... Do you have a testimony?
We kept writing back and forth for an hour. I have to share!!
Jacob's reply- Yes!
mom- Of what? What do you know for sure?
Jacob-Well, I know for sure God lives and that you can repent and that the holy ghost is real and also that I am a boy!!!!!
Mom- How do you know those things for sure?
Jacob-It's all faith mommy, except the last one, I have visual proof.
Mom- What is faith?
jacob-It's believing in things unseen, and a great deal of trust.
Mom-Have you felt the Holy Ghost? If yes, what does it feel like to you?
Jacob-Well, yes I have felt the Holy Ghost in various situations. To me it just clears and calms my mind.
Mom-When can you remember that you felt the Holy Ghost really strong?
Jacob-The one time that sticks out most in my mind is when we went to the Newport beach temple open house.
Mom-Are you looking forward to going to the temple?
Jacob-Yes! Why have we not done all the baptisms in our family tree? We should do it.
Mom- I thought we had, you better do them than. I can't wait until you can go to the temple for your endowment before you go on a mission. You will love it. Also, when you get married in the temple there isn't a better feeling. Do you have those goals?
Jacob- Yes Mom, I do have those goals. Will you take my wedding pictures on a family discount?
Mom-Oh jacob, you are such a wit. You must be my son. ha ha. I can't wait to meet your future wife. What do you think she will be like? what are you looking for?
Jacob- Well, I'm looking for the opposite of you. L.O.L. Well, I don't really know I haven't been really hunting for a wife. Although I would like to be taller than her and she needs good teeth and a sense of humor.
Mom-Why would you want the opposite of me? what's not to like? smile
Jacob-Ha Ha! No mom you know she'll be just like you and like you.
Mom- Thank you. But I want to know what character traits you are looking for. More than just physical traits. In other words... more info please.
Jacob- "well, in other words." I haven't thought about it.
mom- Well, think about it right now. What does she need to know besides" she is a girl"?
Jacob- ha ha! It seems like you are real interested. Are you scared of the competition?
Mom- No, but you should be concerned about your spelling.ha ha. (I have been correcting Jacob's spelling in this transcript. Not that mine is all that great. Even in this transcript. ha) But you need to start thinking about it. It's the most important decision of your life besides choosing to follow God.
Jacob- Not at 12 mom.
Mom- Yes at 12. Why do you think I am saying this?
Jacob-You think it is important. Well, I would want a girl strong in the church with a testimony. Also, someone who would be stronger at my weaknesses. And one whoI want to work together and just make me happy to be with her. Happy?
Mom- Yes, thank you. Now I know you are on the right track and going in the right direction. In other words...you get it. What things do you look forward to in life most?
Jacob- Getting to the end. The luxurious end of the circle.
Mom-What is that?
jacob-where you are. Except maybe more or less so.
Mom- I am just happy. I have been happy at every phase of my life.
Jacob-that's good. I think I am talking good retirement.
Mom-do you have any question for me?
Jacob-yes I do. Are you happy with all your decisions in life? If not which ones?
Mom-Yes, all the important ones. Going on a mission, marrying your dad in the temple, having children, being active in the church and always serving in callings, and trying to keep all the commandments. I do wish that I had been more respectful to my mother when I was young.
Jacob-Are you trying some jedi mind trick on me?
Mom- No, I am serious. I think you are respectful, and it is because Dad makes sure you all are and is as well. Of course, I enforce it too.
Jacob- I'll keep that into consideration as I go through my life. What good movies and books do you think I should watch or read?
Mom-I think most movies you have already seen and love. Music Man, sound of Music, all our favorite muscials, and the star wars series of course. Books hmmm. You are reading the Hobbit right now, and I loved that. I am just happy that you love to read now. I hope you will develope a love of reading the scriptures.
Jacob- I'm still working on that. What is your favorite kind of food, what dish?
Mom-Mexican enchiladas, and Italian lasagna.
Jacob-What plans do you have for when we go to Hawaii?
Mom-Polynesian cultural center, Pearl Harbor, snorkeling at Hanauma bay, boogie boarding where we are staying. Having the time of our lives.
Jacob- Are we going to be able to go out to eat all together and be together all of the time?
mom- yes.
jacob-That's great! But first I have to get through school. Although I do like my school and classmates. I'm just a lazy person. a weak trait.
Mom- We all are Jacob. It's human nature. Becoming great in life just takes our spirit overcoming the natural man. That's how we become more like Heavenly Father. The purpose of our life here.
Jacob-That made me feel alot better. What time is it? I am ready to go.
Mom- Me too.
I love being a Mom. I love the great gift that Heavenly Father has shared with me to bring children to earth and be able to love and teach them. Now I know why it is Heavenly Father's greatest joy "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man." I, in my small way, help him to accomplish that. VERY COOL! I hope you moms know how important being a mom is. We are the teachers and the shapers of Heavenly Father's children. We affect the decisions they make that will affect their whole lives here and in the eternities. We decide how society will be by how we teach our children now. The hand that rocks the cradle really does rule the world. Think about it. What a privilege and honor to have such a noble and great responsibility. I am so thankful.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

thoroughly enjoyed reading that. oh peacup!

Mandee said...

Thanks... I so needed to read that. You and Kelly are so at bringing my focus back to where it needs to be. You are lucky to have such a good boy.

Anonymous said...

wow . he is an amazing young man already at 12, please tell him i am amazed at him....and maybe save him for one of my daughters lOL! they are almost 8 and 6 years old. he is exactly the boy i would want them to bring home!!!!!!!!!!!! you are an amazing mommY!
tara

Casey Lu said...

That brought me to tears reading that! Such a wonderful relationship you two must have! Very smart, thoughtful, young man you have there....and getting him already to pick out a wife...LOL, at 12 good idea, to know what he is interested in!

Amie said...

I was giggling reading thru this whole conversation...how cute is that boy? What a great mommy you are!

psst: pay attention in st. conference!

Anonymous said...

good one, heathie. i love those moments, which seem to get rarer and rarer as the teenage hormones hit. I overheard my sweet brady talking to his friend in the car recently "youth conf. was awesome! I was so spiritual even...but that passed quickly" OH the joys of motherhood

Anonymous said...

Heather, I love you so much! I can only hope that I have a relationship like that with my Jacob. What an amazing boy he is! What an amazing mother you are.

heather said...

thank you for all the kind words. Made my day! I still scream at my kids you know.