Thursday, June 21, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SORELLA!


tODAY is the birthday of someone very special! She is one of my favorite people in the whole wide world. Let me start by telling how we met. Our love story if you will. On October 30, 1991, we both entered the missionary training center in Provo, Ut. We both had been called to serve in the Italy, Catania mission. After we said our goodbyes to our parents and families that we wouldn't see for a year and a half. We were given our room assignments and a map. As I walked down the corridor to my room (which was at the very end facing the corridor). I had the first glimpse of my dear Nunzia (Italian for nancy). I walked up and we instantly hugged. Have you ever had that experience? Meeting someone that you feel you have known a very long time before even a word is spoken. There was instantly a strong connection between us. An excitement of seeing a dear friend you haven't seen in a long time. From that moment on we could not be parted (luckily since we were companions and you aren't allowed too). We were always arm and arm laughing, talking, singing. Much to everyone's annoyance at times. Here we are being goofy doing our cleaning assignment at the MTC. WE even had fun cleaning bathrooms together. Maybe that is why I don't like to do them anymore. I just need Nancy ha.

It is very unusual to be assigned a companion that is going to your same mission, but we were. We spent Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas in the MTC together, and new years on the plane going to Italy. We celebrated it twice in two time zones. We both made it to the Cataniai, on Sicily and met our mission president who gave us our first city we would be serving in. After being put on a train by ourselves sending us up north we crossed the Messina together and continued on another train up to Bari for me and Foggia for her. It was a tearful parting. But we begged our mission president to put us together for the holidays again the next year (which he did) and than for the last couple months of our mission.

Isn't this old city street amazing. OOH I just loved Italy.





Here we are at our ending our mission party that the branch in Cosenza gave for us. This was how we made our entrance.
If it is possible to have a girl soul mate. She would be mine. Our husband's just have to understand. Nancy's husband calls me the prophet because she will do anything I say. That isn't true Barry! We just highly respect each other's opinion. I can't believe how blessed I am to not only have 3 sisters but also Nancy and others (sorry my love) that are just as dear to me and I know would do anything for me. Nancy, you are dear to my heart. You make me laugh with your funny stories! You uplift me with your strength of character. I love your patriotism, your love of protecting our beautiful earth (yes, I am recycling, and turning off the water while I brush). I love your strong feelings on motherhood and being a woman. You are such an example of doing what is right, being friendly and kind to all, and sharing your strong convictions with all you come in contact! Happy Birthday bella mia. La tua sorella


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Nancy!!! I agree, you fit right into our family. I wonder why you were born into another? Hope you have a fun day! Start a blog, would ya? So I can see your beautiful family too!

Anonymous said...

grazie, grazie, tante grazie!!! we just returned from va and the lake house. we were gone for a week. i was catching up on your blog and then...to find this. you are too kind to me! how fun to see the pictures and read the extremely generous words and to go down memory lane. you really are too kind. thank you for remembering me on my birthday--i just your card today too! wow!!! i miss not talking to you but with the kids home for the summer and the time difference it is almost impossible--unless we do an alexander graham bell at 3:00 am. well, thank you so much again for your thoughtfulness and creativity. love, la tua nunzia xoxo
ps couldn't you have put a more recent picture of me to show them how i have blossomed? :)