Sunday, June 17, 2007

The Father of my Children

Someone was spoiled by his girls today!







Our lesson in Relief Society today was on integrity. The definition being the willingness and ability to live by our beliefs and commitments. Integrity is a state or quality of being complete, undivided, or unbroken. it is wholeness and unimpaired. it is purity and moral soundness. it is unadulterated genuineness and deep sincerity. It is courage, honesty, uprightness, and righteousness. Integrity in individuals and corporate bodies is not to ask, "What will others think of me, and my practices?" but, "What do I think of myself if I do this or fail to do that?" Is it proper? Is it right? Would the master approve?.... The lesson talked of men in the scriptures that exemplified integrity. May I add another. He is pictured above. I am in daily close contact with a man that fits this definition. I have always said that I know that Heavenly Father loves me because he gave me Dave. How wonderful to be connected to someone who is unwavering in following what is right, and keeping his commitments to his family and his Heavenly Father. What peace that brings. Even today on father's day he kept his committments to a family that he hometeaches and is determined to care for as the Lord would. It is a family of eight children and a single mom. He went over last night to make sure the boys had their church clothes ready and said that he would be picking them up the next morning. The mom called this morning and said that she was at the hospital with her oldest son so Dave went over this morning and got the kids up and ready, brought them to church. Then tonight went over to do scriptures and prayers with them. He then took the 10, 12, and 13 year old boys to the hospital with him and the Bishop to visit their 19 year old brother, give him a blessing. Then they all went to where the mom was working (she had been there since 3 p.m. and will work until 7am tomorrow morning). What an incredible example he is to his children of love and service to others. I could go on for hours. Just want to shout it out that my heart is full. Men like Dave are rare in a world like ours. How blessed I am to celebrate today that my children have such a father.

p.s. If you are wondering where Jacob is he is at my sister's in Illinois having the time of his life!

5 comments:

Christine said...

Amen. I'm so blessed DJ has such examples to strive to be like.

Anonymous said...

and to think that he could have been mine...if you weren't still around :)

Anonymous said...

very good

Anonymous said...

a great quote that i found on sat. night as i was preparing a talk:

true religion consists not only in refraining from evil...but in deliberately and purposefully doing acts of kindness and service to others. --howard w. hunter
"true religion," ensign, 1978, 12

Bowman Family said...

You are lucky. My husband is the same. Always serving others. It helps me strive to live more compassionately.