Friday, February 29, 2008

Family field TriP

(I thought this sign outside the museum was quite appropriate for a family shot!) Our field trip to the Phoenix art Museum was absolutely fabulous. It actually filled me with joy! I left feeling so enriched and uplifted. In large part because of my friend Darla who taught us. She is so passionate about art, and she just glows when she talks about it. She would lead us from painting to painting telling us the stories behind them, the artist's story as well, the tricks the artists uses to draw our attention to the story he wants to tell in the picture. The history we learn, the techniques. We were all so drawn in and captivated. The kids were as excited as I was. Darla, you have a gift. I can't wait to go back and take Dave. FYI, if you want a free date night the first friday night from 6-10pm it is free and there is a free tour at 6pm. I can't wait to learn more. Some painting just looking at them I wouldn't particularly like, but than when Darla explained about them I appreciated them so much more and actually enjoyed them. My eyes were really opened. So here are some pictures from our fabulous day. I wish I took some out on the patio where we enjoyed a fabulous organic and healthy lunch on a perfect arizona day. Wow. What a neat day. We came home exhausted, but we all had alot to share with Dave. I loved how interested Jacob was, and all of the questions that he asked Darla. I was surprised to hear that the Asian scroll paintings were his favorite. Walking in.... the anticipation and excitement of a day away from school. Jacob's belt buckle that he is so proud of and loves. yes, he is getting that age. Loving the little things that make him different and stand out. It reads on it to rub it for luck. Of course, only Jacob is allowed to, mom's orders. ha ha. This is Darla. I told you she glows when she talks about art. It is easy to love it too when she teaches you about it with such enthusiam.
two of the paintings that we learned alot about and loved. It is a wonderful thing to be a part of filling a child's brain with knowledge and light.





Now for the hands on part of our day. They have a children's area where the kids can touch things (absolutely no touching anywhere else). So I don't reccommend taking small children who like to touch everything. You are watched like a hawk in there. Seriously. The girls were so cute. They got so into it! This is the painting that they were sketching

I love Lizzie's expression as she looks up. She wants to be an artist when she grows up.



This is Lizzie's favorite thing to write. When I was reading from her school journal she brought home, they were asked what makes them happy. She wrote her Mom. Made me tear up. I will have to say that this was the best piece of art I saw all day. Smile. And I know the artist personally and that makes it all the more meaningful and priceless! smile

7 comments:

Toni said...

Wow! What a fun day. Sounds like a place Karli would love.

Anonymous said...

maybe art is a good direction for lizzie "i'm kind of flunking..."

i love leah' triangle pose!

i can't believe how old everyone looks! esp. rebecca, she looks so old.

Amie said...

what fun! We'll have to try this in a few years!!

Christine said...

What a great post Heather! I so have to go soak in some art, I miss the San Fransisco art world so much. Maybe I'll drag my hunny out on a Friday soon :)

G-rant said...

Jake is starting to look like a man.

Anonymous said...

one week- woo hoo! so cute- can't wait to see them! YOU all! I wish I had been there- I'd love that!

Anonymous said...

haha my friend bret has the same belt buckle