Wednesday, February 27, 2008

love being a mom


Being a mom is all I ever wanted. I wanted a comfortable and cozy home, a hardworking and God fearing husband, and children to love and teach. I have been blessed with all of those things and so much more. It is so much harder than I ever thought possible. It has pushed me to the limits of my abilities. It has painfully stretched me to grow wiser, in a very humbling way. But I wouldn't change it for the world. The family is God's way to help us become like Him, and I believe that with all my heart. All I need to do to become like God is be a mother and a wife. To do those two things well takes developement of every Godlike characteristic. Again, did I say it was easy? Sometimes I want to run and hide and never come back. But the truth is.... real joy in life comes through the family relationships. I also love the quote "happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of Jesus Christ." Nothing could be truer than this. Dave and I have always struggled with some issues in our marriage. With the new year I wanted to work on some of those struggles. As always pride is the main reason that most things aren't resolved. I really really really want a marriage like Gordon and Marge (Hinkley-smile). I need to put up a big picture of the two of them where I can see it every day. I want that so bad. So, I decided that I want to get up early every morning and read scriptures and pray together. We also read a section of one of my favorite relationship books "The seven levels of intimacy" (it is so awesome! I highly reccommend it!) Can I tell you that our marriage has improved. Alot of pride has been removed, and replaced with more consideration and kindness. Another thing that I know has saved us many a time is going to the temple together at least once a month. Nothing softens your heart more, and gives you that eternal perspective back, and reminds you of who you are and what you want most, what true joy is and where it is found. So a big thanks to my incredible husband, who really is the one who is making this goal happen. As you know, I am not a morning person. He has been the one to wake me up every morning and make sure it always happens. More often than not he has to do all the reading. My voice and eyes don't even work right when I wake up. Pitiful I know. That is why I married Dave. He is Mr. Discipline. I need that for my undisciplined self. He is so steady and sure. How wonderful that is. I love him so much. Is our marriage perfect? Of course not, we aren't perfect. But we have the same goals in life. So girls, if you aren't married yet, here is a piece of advice. YOU HAVE TO MARRY SOMEONE WITH THE SAME GOALS AS YOU! Which is why we are taught at church to only marry someone who is a member of the church and worthy to take you to the temple. Not because members of our church are better people, but because than you will have similar goals. Without that, as I have witnessed, you will impose upon yourself alot of frustration and misery. Marriage is hard. Being one in purpose is crucial. Every choice you make in life is based upon your knowledge of who you are, where you came from, where you want to go. Anyway, as always, off I go a rambling. I started out saying that I love being a mom. The kids have half day today and I decided to take them out of school and go on a field trip. My lovely friend Darla is a docent at the Phoenix art museum and has agreed to give us a private tour. I am so excited. I have been wanting to do this for awhile. So I will be having a wonderful day with my kids learning and enjoying beauty today. More later on all the things I love about being a mom. Off on another adventure.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are amazing! is it any wonder i think so highly of you? i think that your next calling is going to be in young womens!!! :) love, nancy

Anonymous said...

I lurk around your blog every once in a while and I'd like to thank you for your awesome posts...they're inspiring and full of hope and faith. I hope you don't mind that I'm becoming a fan. Your photography, your "mother & wife-hood," and all your accomplishments and aspirations...you're just fabulous! Thanks!
P.S. Just to reassure you that I'm not some creepy random weirdo: I'm an old mission companion and BYU roommate of Kelly's (I'm also a big fan of she and Nicole)

Jen Kesler said...

I hope you don't think I'm a weirdo or anything as I am a "lurker" on your blog, but I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate the stories you tell and the experiences you share! They are truly uplifting and remind me of the many blessings that are in my life!!

Thank you!
Jennifer Kesler
http://www.jenkesler.blogspot.com