Saturday, January 05, 2008

Polar Express

What a fun idea! Up in Williams, Arizona there is an old train that runs year round up to the grand canyon. During the holiday season it changes into a magical train that goes to the north pole. Williams is a quaint mountain town. The perfect setting. We stayed in the cozy lodge next to this vintage train station. At 6pm with pajamas on and blankets around us we boarded the train being welcomed by the conductor and our own cook and elf. We had hot chocolate and cookies and read the story of the polar express. Dave really enjoyed the reading as you can see below. ha ha. Hundreds of people and excited kids and there is Dave. Mr Grinch. ha ha. I love the picture of the kids above. Gazing out the window at all the christmas lights getting closer to Santa's village.
We finally arrived at the North Pole. It really was magical. Then Santa came on the train. THE REAL SANTA! and gave each child a large bell.

Look at Lizzie's excited face waiting for her turn to talk to "THE REAL" Santa face to face. I love her shirt. It reads "I'm on the nice list...trust me."
Dave then perked up for the carols on the way back from the North Pole. While singing the 12 days of Christmas all the men had to stand up and do this action while singing "five golden rings." Dave was doing his funny deep falsetto voice. Look at the elf doing it behind him, and down below is our chef laying in the isle doing it! You should have seen his "lords a leaping" I tried to get a picture of it, I was laughing so hard.
We pulled back into the station and out we went into the cold snowy night. Like I said Magical. Doesn't it sound so cool and like the neatest thing to do at Christmas ever? Yes it does. Except I left out little details like. We were squished, the "hot" chocolate was cold and gross. The chocolate chip cookies were super hard. I had lost my voice and couldn't really sing. Rebecca was feeling motion sick and I kept having to go to the bathroom with her. The train broke down and we had to sit for an extra 1/2 hour and a part of that time all the electricity was out. The girls were fighting and crying about who gets to sit by the window. and I am pretty sure that our elf was an ex-convict. I know his ears are fake, and he smelled like beef and cheese. ha ha ha ha ha. But even with the details, it was still fun! It made it all the more memorable. Especially since who we were squished with were our wonderful friends the Lowrys and the Gardners. We were still Merry, and I won't ever forget the experience. I kept thinking that my Dad would love this, and think it is so cozy. After we got back to the Lodge we got some hot (really hot and yummy) cocoa and sat by the big fire in the Lodge's great room and just gazed and enjoyed! Thanks Lowrys for inviting us!

7 comments:

Kendra said...

I was feeling really jealous until I read "the rest of the story." That is HILARIOUS! I love experiences like that. They live on in family lore forever. We have some great ones from my childhood. Every time we tell them we laugh so hard we can hardly talk! This is the stuff memories are made of.

Anonymous said...

ok, that picture of dave asleep and then "perked" up and singing the 12 days of christmas is hilarious!!! and why is the chef lying in the aisle while doing his five golden rings??? this was a very, very funny post!!! love, nancy

Jaime said...

I LOVE the Polar Express, we went last year and I'll admit that the cocoa was luke warm and the cookies were hard! It really gets you in the spirit for Christmas, my girls still talk about it. Poor Rachel, feeling motion sick is not fun, does she get that way often? Megan does and I found that the bands that are for motion sickness work really well, we can't go anywhere w/out them, she gets sick just from here to Arrowhead!

cbo said...

Heather!
I have a funny story for you.
I showed my sister your photography blog a while ago. Last week she told me that she noticed that your blog was linked to one of her friend's blog. My sister asked her friend if she knows you. The friend doesn't know you, but LOVES your pictures! (Does that make sense at all? confusing I know)

Anyhow, have a great day.
Cheri Olsen

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, i'm totally coming next year to do that! love it!

Heather S :o) said...

I did that last year! ( i think)It was soo awesome! The coolest part of the ride was that you could turn te chairs around,so that the two chairs were facing each other, and that you could get hot chocolate and a bell!!!!

Teri said...

love that last pic!