Monday, January 28, 2008

My Heart Hurts


My heart hurts because I will miss hearing the voice that has become so familiar to me as the word of the Lord. President Gordon B. Hinckley the prophet and president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints passed away yesterday. My first thought when I heard the news was happiness that he would be able to be with his wife who had already passed on and whom he missed so dearly. But as it sunk in and I felt the spirit , the tears started to come. I will miss his optimism and humor. I will miss his love and encouragement. What a life well lived. I started to think of my own life. How am I living. I realized that I had a lot to change, and that brought many more tears. The Holy Ghost took advantage of my humility to inform me that I needed to repent of many things. While I hate that feeling, it hurts. I know it is necessary in order for me to change and grow, so I have to be grateful for that. I thought it quite interesting that it was the death of our dear prophet that would bring on a change of heart for me. That even in death he has helped me draw closer to my Heavenly Father. I can't help but think of their sweet reunion. I can see it in my mind. His being welcomed back into the brotherhood and fellowship of all the prophets that have gone before him. I wish I were there to experience it. Don't worry, for the first time I am not anxious to leave this life. ha ha. Usually, I am anxious to leave this sin filled world to be with my Heavenly Father. Today, I feel strengthened to stop wanting to move on, and get to work, while it is my turn to work. I feel renewed energy to love and serve others. To give my life as our dear prophet did to loving and serving the Lord. My turn isn't over yet and I rejoice in that. So while my heart hurts, it is also filled with a great gratitude and love for the life of a man who gave to me a great example of how to live with great love and joy.
PS. My sister has some of the greatest quotes from President Hinkley here. I would love to hear yours

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite memories of president hinckley is when he was interviewed on 60 minutes with mike wallace. mike wallace (as a narrator) says: mormons believe that after they die they can be reunited with family and loved ones for eternity. mike wallace says: i have thought about it, but i haven't quite convinced myself. president hinckley says: well then, you haven't thought about it long enough! he will be missed but i am anxious to see the prophetic mantle come to president monson. have a great week! xo
ps have you read the biography of pres. hinckley? (by sherri dew?

Anonymous said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

so good

Kendra said...

You beautifully expressed what I have been feeling in my heart. It hurts when I think about our loss. Change is always difficult. But as you pointed out, he showed us how to be better. He continues to do so, even in death. I love you President Hinckley!

Anonymous said...

I had the same feeling I needed to evaluate my life and do better. I loved the way Presidend Hinkley's grand children signed their card they sent with flowers to the service. I too will be greatful, be smart, be clean, be true, be humble, be prayerful, because I love President Hinkley.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of President Hinckley you posted and I am not even a member of THE Church. I was sad to learn of his passing, even though I know he would have been glad to go. It's hard to imagine anyone but him as "THE Prophet", even though I think God has many prophets amongst us. His humor, gentle manner and dedication to his wife and his life calling touch my heart.