Thursday, April 19, 2007

Mesa Cannery


Last week I went to help at the cannery. I love going there despite the drive (and it is work) because I feel the spirit really strong there. I was surprised by that the first time that I went. There are certain places that I really feel the spirit strongly when I am just there like the temple and the missionary training center. I wouldn't have thought that I could add the cannery to it. But it makes sense. The Lord's work is done there 24-7. I also love how there are quotes all over the walls from prophets through the years. I posted a couple. Click and enlarge the one below so you can read it. I just love my church. I must say that 10 times a day. As the president of our womens service group (the relief society) I am continually inspired and amazed at the love and compassion I see given every day by my fellow sisters. Anyway, back to the cannery. I started out doing dry pack. Filling cans with wheat and sealing them etc. They needed some people to go over and help in wet pack so I went over there. I had never done that before. We were doing catsup. I felt like Laverne and Shirley (minus the beer-ha ha). It was fun.


I love this man. He and his wife are full time missionaries at the cannery. They could be out on the golf course and relaxing in their retirement but instead they are serving for free in the cannery everyday. Every time I have gone he has been there instructing us. Here he is reading a scripture before we start.



Here is my post in this chair down below. I told you it looks like Laverne and shirley. I had to make sure the bottles had the catsup up to the top before they went through that sealing machine.




Here we are taking back what our ward has ordered. I love these women. Toni Gardner on the left organizing all the orders and goes every month. She is totally reliable and dependable. She is really shy at first, but so talkative and fun when you get to know her and she would do anything for you. Julie Klippel is on the right. I love how she is soft spoken, and gentle, and always quietly doing what is right and good. It is so funny to see her with her 3 little boys all wild and crazy and she is this quiet little thing. Tiffani Nally is in the car pulling the trailer. All of these people take off work, make arrangements for their kids, give of their time. No one pays for their gas or work. It is out of love for their Savior. I love that, and I love them for it. I should start spotlighting all the women in our ward. I love them all.

5 comments:

Monique said...

Holy Cow! I can't believe the amount of boxes you all are going back with! And canning ketchup??? We don't have that...is is for the storehouse?

What a good example you are!

Amie said...

Holy cow! that is a LOT!! I knew it was bunches, but geemonee... How awesome you guys could help out.

So sorry to hear about your brother in law. Hopefully, it is just a stroke. You may have noticed that Danny had one 6 years ago...he still has a bit of a slur and doesn't annunciate properly; he also has a limp. But other than that, thru lots of therapy, he came out OK. Best wishes for your BIL.

Syndi said...

Wow, this is amazing--Good for you!

Anonymous said...

LOVED this entry! it is so true about the canneries--they are awesome!!! i used to work at the one in houston--it does peanut butter! it was so much fun and we did it at night which was great becuase then dad's were home and we didn't have to worry about childcare,etc...i loved how you said you felt like laverne and shirley--you are so funny!!!! i loved how you took your camera to the cannery. i am going to dedicate the song, "riding along, singing a song, side by side.." to you and your camera! thanks for the uplifting message! love, nancy
ps i think we qualify for those free groceries!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

i wish we had that here!