Thursday, August 07, 2008

my vampire child

(Lizzie when her sisters did her make-up for a fashion show that they put on). I think she looks like a perfect little vampire. I wonder why I would have vampires on my mind. hmmm. Could it be that I just read all four twilight books in the past week. I look like a vampire too with my dark circles under my eyes. ha ha. I really enjoyed reading them. They so draw me in and I can't put them down. I must be truthful and admit that i really am embarrassed to say that I love them too. I am always hesitant to say that I read them and loved them to people because I am so torn on whether I should be reading them. Am I a total hypocrite because I don't want Rachel to read them. I can't decide if it just isn't age appropriate for her or just plain not appropriate (for me included). At 16 I really don't want Rachel pressing her body as hard as she can against a boy, with his smoldering eyes, and tracing his lips with her tongue. Would President Hinkley call it titillating and tawdry and to stay away from it? (I loved it when he would say that. I love to say the words titillating and tawdry. hee hee). The book definitely made me want to go and find Dave, so what is a 12 year old supposed to do with those feelings? The prophet says that "before marriage, do not do anything to arouse the powerful emotions that must be expressed only in marriage. Do not participate in passionate kissing, lie on top of another person etc. Do not participate in talk or activities that arouse sexual feelings." And than why as an LDS author would she put in bad language? I know there is worse language, but still. AGain, I don't want my kids to read books, or watch movies that use that kind of language, but here I am, the hypocrite again. Jacob is really giving me a hard time because I have been laying down the law with him about movies and video games, yet I am reading these books. Am I justifying doing something that I don't believe in because they are so vampirelicious? signed, desperately undecided.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I happy to admit that I LOVE them too! But I was also suprised that an LDS author was at expressing in detail those arousing feelings; especially thru the heroine who was only in 11-12th grade! But as a happily married woman, I felt free to indulge in those feelings, and my man definitely benefitted from it! haha. Kennedy doesn't want to read them, luckily, but Brady is just as hooked as me!

Amie said...

This is the reason I've always thought they were more adult books. We still have to read, respond, and react appropriately as we read them too, deal with what we read and see and feel much like we'd have to with any PG or PG13 movie. I just figure once you've trusted your kids to be able to read them and deal with slightly suggestive areas, (and you as a parent can decide when that time is right) then they can read and enjoy them too. Sean wants to read them and I thought about reading them out loud to him, and perhaps editing a couple of parts. =)

Nicole Montgomery said...

you are such a debbie downer

Nicole Montgomery said...

and nd hell are both in the bible- haha

Nicole Montgomery said...

that was supposed to say "damn and hell"

April said...

I don't want Baylie reading them right now either. My feelings are exactly the same as yours. I had a hard time even allowing her to read Harry Potter as even some parts scared me. I've been thinking about this a lot "Til I die I will not remove mine Integrity from me". I bought "Breaking Dawn" but haven't brought myself to read it yet. I think about this with movies, tv and books...if your Integrity is removed we will not have the spirit at that time when we need it. I have not read many books because of this lately. It's just a personal choice...although I still might read Breaking Dawn. Who knows. you just have to choose what's right for your kids. Only mom knows best!

heather said...

Oh and by the way nicole God and Jesus are both in the bible too, if you catch my drift. signed, debbie downer

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, even thought this won't win me friends, that I don't love these books. Edward's "perfection" and all the physical attraction & drama are a little over the top for me. I like my romance with my husband, and I just don't get drawn into this fake romance. My girls have read them, and did it before I read them. They are 15 & 16, older than Rachel. I'm not thrilled that they read them, although I haven't told them they couldn't, and I wouldn't want Rachel to read them either.

ali said...

I agree that it gets a little melodramatic at times, and I just want to ask Bella if she ever laughs (you know, if I could have a conversation with a fictional character).

On a side note, I think we should all give Stephenie Meyer a break. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be a Mormon in the spotlight, constantly being judged by other Mormons... *sigh* Poor girl. I think she did a fine job, and I also have to wonder if she would get as harsh of criticism if she were not a member (I know, higher standard, blah blah, but still). I mean, come on, her characters got married before they were physically intimate, and that is HUGELY conservative nowadays. And it isn't as though she is trying to pass it off as sacred literature or anything. :)

(sorry, I'm way too opinionated for my own good, and you happened to bring up something that has been festering for a while :) )

Kendra said...

There's no way I would recommend these books for a teenager. I enjoyed reading them, but I don't think they are appropriate for teens. At least not the physical relationship aspects, especially in the last two books. You're right. If they aroused those feelings in middle aged women, what do we expect they will do to hormone charged teenagers?