Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Father's day festivities.

I am so proud of this breakfast that I made, I can't stand it. Creme Brulee french toast, sausage and juice! It seriously was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Breakfast food is very important to me. Going out to breakfast for my family growing up and for me today is one of my biggest treats. Nothing has topped yet the breakfast buffet at the Ritz Carlton in Cancun, Mexico. I am going back there someday just for that breakfast. It was incredible. Anyway, I digress. I got this recipe off of Mandee's blog (my sister's sister in law. That sounds more confusing than it is). She had a recipe contest and this one was submitted by Alifinale. I say that she wins! When I saw the recipe, I just knew that this would definitely make me the best wife ever, since Dave's favorite dessert is creme brulee. So are you dying for the recipe yet? Yes, I will share.
...Creme Brulee French Toast
1/2 cup butter,
1 cup brown sugar
2 TBSP corn syrup
1 loaf of Texas toast (thick sliced bread)
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups half and half cream
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
in a small saucepan melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat until smooth, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture into large, greased jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) Spread to cover completely. Place 12 slices Texas toast bread in a single layer to cover pan. mix together eggs, cream, salt, and vanilla. Spoon mixture over each piece of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. remove from the pan and serve. If not serving immediately, turn each slice over( this will prevent bread from sticking to the bottom of the pan.)
Creme Brulee syrup
1/2 cup of butter
1 cup buttermilk1 cup sugar
2 TBSP white corn syrup
boil together over medium heat for 7-10 Minutes stirring constantly
after you remove from the heat
add:1 tsp vanilla1/2 tsp baking soda

Don't you love Dave's poofy hair in this picture. ha ha. He has gotten it cut since than. The girls want to know how far up it will poof if he lets it grow long. I don't think we will try that experiment. Above is a picture of the two twins. Leah has so many of Dave's expressions and mannerisms. Lizzie found two pictures where Dave and Leah (at 3) have the same expression on their face. It was so funny, and that Lizzie found two separate pictures and noticed that. She is very observant and is constantly pointing out things that the rest of us don't notice. Yes, she is very smart, but of course still can't read. ha.
The best gift that I gave Dave was my desire to really live by a budget. His gifts that I bought were 50 cent puzzles from the goodwill store. You should have seen the joy in his face! That night the kids did a puzzle with Dave while I read from "The Book of Virtues" by William J. Bennett ( a steal at 2 dollars from the goodwill). I want to be like the families before they had tv. Gathered around in the evening reading and such. Shall I have the girls start doing needlework as I read? smile. It does sound heavenly to me. We just canceled cable. We're done. I can't take the grossness anymore.
Another item of note is on Sunday I was released as Relief Society President. I have known for about a month. It was time. It has been one of the sweetest and growing experiences of my life. I am so grateful, but also so ready to move on. I feel so strongly that I need to really devote more time to my family. In fact I spoke on that subject on Sunday in church. Time really is our most precious commodity. I am determined to not waste the precious time that I have on this earth. I used Alma chapter 34 from the Book of Mormon as the basis of my talk. We are here for a purpose and have work to do. We can't let the world convince us otherwise, and squander our time away. So for a refresher, i highly recommend you reading that chapter. As the world gets more wicked we need to be all the more vigilant. I am definitely "circling the wagons"

5 comments:

aShLeY said...

That looks so good i am comin 2 your house 4 breakfast!

My name is Lexi said...

I love reading your 'spiritual' postings

heather said...

anytime ashley, although usually we are eating cream of wheat. And thank you Lexi.

Anonymous said...

great post. i am curious....what does, "circling the wagons," mean??? nunzia xo

lisa carr said...

You did it! Congratulations on turning off the cable!!!!

Love you,

Lisa

PS Headed to Hawaii in approximately 8 hours!!!