Sunday, October 21, 2007

things i am so happy about they make me cry

ok confession. I have always been taught that you pray on your knees, and I see the wisdom in that. It definitely keeps you awake and more focused. But I love so much to pray all cozied up in bed. I mean really, I would want to talk to Heavenly Father all cozy. It is the best place to have good talks with family. At least in my family. So as I finally climb into bed way late at night after getting out of a warm shower (my second favorite place to pray, I know wierd.) I crawl into bed, pull all of the sheets and blankets away from dave (ha ha), and wrap them around my legs until the desired coziness is reached. I snuggle down into my down pillow and start my prayer by saying ooooh Heavenly FAther I am so thankful for my yummy cozy bed, house,life, family, husband, for a knowledge of the purpose of life, and how to be happy (if you don't know those answers go to mormon.org. Such a great website). and then the familiar warm tears start to slowly sneak down my cheeks as I think of all the things that I am so grateful for. I think about all the wonderful people in my life and the things that they are going through and I ask Heavenly Father to bless them. Like Jaime going through the heartbreak of miscarriage, and the love and sadness that I felt for her when I gave her a big hug that day. Please Heavenly Father, give her strength and comfort. I thought of the Chowdury family and the miracles that are happening in their life. So glad to be able to witness it. When I was made RS president, I saw her name on our roles. I thought. Hey that is my neighbor and friend. I went to her house and we had a great talk. She was baptized when she was young but wasn't currently attending church and her husband wasn't a member. As I thought about how much I have come to love her and her loving and giving heart, and how her family has changed and blossom my heart was filled with joy. i thought of how her son was just baptized and how she told me just that day that her husband (who is the kindest man) had decided to be baptized. The tears kept coming, bless them Heavenly Father with thy spirit, and thank you so much for their friendship. Then I thought about the long talk on the phone that I had with my brother later in the evening. This is my brother that is only a year younger than me. He has struggled through alot . and just in the past year things have really come together for him. He got married for the first time. Had a new baby, got custody of his 14 year old daughter and is learning a whole lot all at once. Which is so cool because now he calls me all the time and he never did before. It has been so amazing to watch the change and growth in him. He was telling me how he was talking to his 14 year old and telling her to not make the mistakes he made. That happiness is not found in things but in family relationships, and that she should read her scriptures, write in her journal, go to church. That just because he isn't the best example doesn't mean that he isn't spiritual or care about those things. You can't imagine how these words affected me. I have been praying to hear those words for 20 years. We were so close when we were little, like two little bear cubs. I have always felt that I needed to watch out and care for him. He has been so distant for so long, and to see him want to be with family again, and talk and hang out all the time is seriously an answer to years and years of praying. So how can I thank Heavenly Father enough for that? How can I stop the tears of joy then? and on and on. I love cozy prayers. I love warm tears of gratitude. I love my Heavenly Father. What a wonderful gift prayer is. If you haven't taken the opportunity to find a cozy spot all alone to pour out your heart, I highly recommend it. It feels so good, and I promise you will feel Heavenly Father is there and His love for you. For me it is a warm happy peaceful feeling. No wonder I fall asleep while I am praying. Yes that is the one downfall of combining coziness with prayers. Heavenly Father understands, doesn't he?my brother and I when we are 6 and 7, with my mom. This is him now down below being Owen Wilson. He is so funny. Love you kenny and yes i am sooo proud of you! love your big sister (in more ways than one. ha)

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

This was beautiful, thanks for sharing! And I'm glad to hear that someone else likes to pray in bed (and sometimes falls asleep)!I think that in the winter He especially understands us wanting to be cozy in bed. He would rather us be comfortable and pour our hearts out than kneel and shiver through a 2 second prayer just so that we can hop into bed!

Amie said...

what a great post, Heather. You're sweet to care so very much!!

Anonymous said...

favorite places to pray:
1. in the car alone driving
2. cozy in bed
3. bubble bath
4. shower

this is my favorite post you've ever written. you are such a good sister.

Anonymous said...

ps- that pic of you guys looks like me holding leah and landon

Anonymous said...

i love kenny

Anonymous said...

i'm cozy now, just reading your post!

Casey Lu said...

This has to be the most heartfelt, sincere, uplifting thought or post I have ever read anywhere. I myself say my prayer cozily in my bed at night. This post brought me to tears and to think of all the things going on in my life right now that I don't understand and can't control, and that I am so thankful that I am here, have my family, and God in my life. Very touching Heather! I try sometimes to pour my heart out in my blog then later deleting my post at to not reveal my deepest thoughts, concerns, fears, or blessings. Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!!