Wednesday, October 03, 2007

BAnana Bread REcipe

This is one of the most used recipes that I have. It is my Mom's banana bread recipe and it seriously is the best! The key i think is the sour cream. Extra moist!

1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening
cream these two together than add
2 eggs and mix well.
4 large really ripe bananas
4Tabl. sour cream
than add
2-1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
Pour into two greased and floured or sprayed with pam bread pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 mins. You need to watch it and not let it overcook. I sprinkle chocolate chips on the top before baking sometimes. Very yummy. Of course you can add walnuts if you like. I don't like personally. ha.

while I am at the banana recipes. I will share another. I tasted these at a friends house and they were to die for. Melt in your mouth. I got the recipe but of course I have never made them. Add it to the to do list. ugh. Let me know if you try it, and love it. Oh yah, and bring me over some. smile.

Banana Nut Bars
1 cup butter or margarine cubed
1/2 cup water
2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
1/2 cup buttermilk (this is probably why I never make it. Who has buttermilk on hand?)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Frosting:
1 pkg. 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

In a saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil. Remove from heat; set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugars, baking soda, eggs, bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until blended. Carefully add butter mixture; mix well. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 15x10x1 inches baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually add confectioners' sugar. Spread over bars. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 3 dozen bars.
warning: these are not low fat or low cal in any way. ha ha. I am sure that is why they are so dang good. ENJOY!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

kell told me about this powdered buttermilk she keeps for baking, so I got some. Now I have it to try the bars today! yummy!

heather said...

oh great, the one person that can't share with me. That is so mean! I will have to get the powdered buttermilk. Is it just at the regular store?

Anonymous said...

ah yes...you gave me this banana bread recipe when i was a engaged--as part of a gift. grazie di nuovo! it really is amazing!!! infact, most of my family uses this recipe! in a test taste (in the fam) it even beat martha stewart's banana bread recipe. now, about the buttermilk...are you aware that you can make it yourself? add 1 T. of lemon juice or vinegar to one cup of milk. (it should all fit in the measuring cup) it needs to sit for about 10 minutes. you will notice that it gets thicker. for more tips you can contact me!!!! :) ciao!

Anonymous said...

i just bought sour cream tonight for the express purpose of making that bread. i really have never had better. yes, the powdered buttermilk is at any store, in the baking aisle. i keep it on hand for texas sheet cake!

Anonymous said...

I never buy buttermilk, I always do the vinegar in the milk thing.

Jaime said...

Thanks Heather for the recipe, I made it last night and am sooo enjoying it!

Kendra said...

I can't wait to try your recipe! I have been meaning to make banana bread for a while, but every time I get the bananas to the desired ripeness, my hhusband throws them away! I'm going to have to put a big note on them this time.

Anonymous said...

ps if i don't see some rodenberg fam pics on either website, or a disc in my mailbox SOON.... i am going to scream!!!!!!!! hurry- ia m so excited!