Thursday, September 27, 2007

So Proud of Myself

Life is so crazy that I usually end up just buying everything for a birthday party. But I have such fond memories of my mom making everything and that meant so much to me. Well Leah for some reason had her whole identity, value, and worth in our family wrapped up in the execution of her birthday party. She is at that age, and the 4th in the family where she is feeling frustrated and lost right now. Rebecca finally moved out of that thank goodness!!! All Leah could talk about was this birthday party and how she wanted it. Funny but I knew it would show her that she is really special to me if I spent alot of time doing little details. So I spent all day (which I normally never ever do) getting ready for this party. I baked and decorated the cake, I made this pineapple boat (doesn't it look good?) I made the favor bags. Thanks Heidi swapp for the stencil. Just used spray paint. It seriously took all day to do everything. Now I know why I don't do that! ha. But it felt so good! I felt like such a good mom. I knew Leah would be glowing and so excited knowing that I spent all day making special things just for her. And sure enough, look at her goofy face when she saw the cake. I thought the store bought cakes look way better, but when I remember the feelings when I was young of my mom making mine. and I remember them distinctly ie licorice to make a fence that had pumpkins on it for my halloween birthday party. Or trying to get the color of blue just perfect on the frosting for the waves in the sea with sailboats on it. It made me feel so special. Home made really is best! Much more memorable, much more meaningful.

I seriously was so proud of this!! I really don't take the time to do anything like this ever!


Let the party begin!

here is leah worried that no one is going to come. poor thing, after all this looking forward and dreaming in her mind of the perfect party, she was so concerned when the guests were a little late! But of course everything worked out fine.I love this picture of leah and lizzie in heaven with a all these new lip glosses and make-up!
So here's to a good mom day! Heaven knows there have been alot of bad mom days! ugh. but another good word of advice since I am into that right now. I learned in some parenting class that as long as the good outnumbers the bad, you are fine. We all aren't perfect and will have bad days but as long as there are more good experiences, more positive than negative, they will be just fine, and remember the good. Isn't that great news!

6 comments:

Jesika said...

GOOD JOB!! You are an amazing mom and I want to be just like you!! :o) I love your enthusiam for your kids and husband!

Leslie said...

Very cool. Wish I could have come to the girl party! Ahhhhhh flavored lipgloss!

Kendra said...

I remember those special things my mom did for me too. They always mean the most. It's nice to be reminded of that because we get so caught up in the craziness of life. You and Leah will always remember this birthday. So special!

Amie said...

Great work Heather! My mom always did everything homemade too, and I've tried doing that, but it seems my boys don't care, lol! Your cake and pineapple boat look great and the bags are adorable! Such girly girly things! love it!

Anonymous said...

I am SOOOOO impressed! yay Leah! She looks like Rebecca in the pic where she's blowing the candles. I love that girl!

Jaime said...

You did AWESOME!! It is alot of work when you take on these parties. It is so much easier just having the party somewhere else, but this will be one that Leah will remember forever.