Sunday, September 09, 2007

BOSTON


I loved the mix of old architecture with the new. This is the old state house above. On the balcony there, the constitution was read for the first time.
this is the oldest church in the U.S. built in the 1700s. Benjamin Franklin was baptized in this church. I loved the chandalier. There was a good feeling in this church. People were actually reverent went they went in. You could feel that good things had happened here.
ok, so not exactly a church or historic monument, but I thought this bar's name was pretty funny and clever!
This is the famous swan pond on Boston Common. I just loved all the old trees. So beautiful!
Isn't this a cool door? It was located on Beacon Hill.
Us following the trail of freedom. Boston is the most walkable city I have ever been in. So clean and everywhere so picturesque. Starting at Boston Common there is a red line that you can follow through the city (a walking tour) that takes you to many historic sites. Very cool. We were walking it with a group of amish teenagers. You can see a couple in front of us. They were such a stark contrast to the immodestly dressed people all around us. Very refreshing. I love their culture.
Ok so the thing most common on the trail of freedom is dunkin donuts. It really became a joke with us. We couldn't get over how many there were. Seriously on every corner. So we had to stop and try a "boston" creme donut of course.
All over there are these spooky and cool old graveyards. You just don't see anything like this out west.
We went on a tour called a "duck tour". You ride in these old world war II jeep/boats. They showed us around the streets and then you went into the Charles river. Kinda cool. We also drove up to Salem and along the coast all the way up to Gloucester. Very Cape Coddish. Didn't take my camera. Can you believe that! While I loved Boston and it is really a very unique and beautiful city, cities still aren't my favorite. Where's the beach! It did remind me of Italy in parts. Just the smells and the open markets took me back. We hung out in little Italy where there are 110 italian restaurants. We had some yummy food. I bought some Panna, and Beschamel sauce from an Italian salumeria. I am excited to use them. I am guilty to admit that I spent alot of time in my hotel room laying in bed and reading Harry Potter. Isn't that horrible or "oorreeble" as Fleur would say. ha. We could have used that time to go to plymouth. I did see "old iron sides" though. Coming up are fun pictures from my trip to my sister Glor's house. We did a family photo shoot too. Very midwest with the red barn. fun fun.

7 comments:

Christine said...

Looks like so much fun! I have always wanted to visit Boston and Maine. One of these days we're gonna just go and take it all in. We are very glad to have you back!

Syndi said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. You tell a great story with all your photos. Another trip to add to my list.

Casey Lu said...

Boston looks so beautiful! I love history and it would be so cool to go see all that fun historic stuff! I have to agree that shot with the old willow trees is breathtaking! So glad you had fun! But, glad your back though!

Amie said...

I love that picture of Benjamin Franklin's church. And I'm glad you got rid of your 'no desserts' rule while on vacation. =)

Jaime said...

Looks like you had a blast!! I love Boston we went 3 yrs ago when my little sister thought she wanted to go to BU. I wish we would've done more historical sight seeing.

Anonymous said...

i really want to go there.

almost as much as i want that donut

Delise said...

Heather, I don't know if you remember me or not (I was in yours and Dave's BYU singles ward)...just found your blog from Leslie's and wanted to say hi. I live in Boston right now and wish I would've known you were coming so I could hook you up with discounted tickets to stuff. Rats. Next time?

Love your photos!