Friday, December 15, 2006

The Talk

Remember how I said at midnight I remembered that Rebecca needed to give a talk in church. Well, the next morning I didn't feel good and ended up staying in bed and not going to church. I was lying in bed getting out a picture of Christ she could take and Dave walks in with a slimfast for me and said I already helped her with it. What a MAN. Most of my prayers start with gratitude for Dave. Last night he helped me take furniture to a needy family, deliver a secret santa gift, copy pictures to a disc for me, helped me with some electrical difficulties. He is soooo the better half. Always there always calm and always supportive with all my crazy things i am running around doing. For all you girls out there who have yet to be married me...listen well to my advice. It is so worth finding one that loves the Lord more than anything, honors his priesthood, and is worthy to take you to the temple. Here is the talk that Dave helped Rebecca with.

Before we were born here on Earth, we lived in Heaven with our Heavenly Father. He is our Dad and he loves us. One day, He said he had to talk to us. He had a funny look on His face--He seemed happy and sad at the same time. He said it was time for us to grow up. We could learn and grow to be like Him! But it was not going to be easy. He said we would come down to this Earth, without any memory of our time with Him in Heaven. When we choose the right, on our own, we are becoming more like our Heavenly Father. he gave us parents, teachers, the scriptures, prayer, and the Holy Ghost to help us know what is right. He even sent our older brother, Jesus, to teach us and live a perfect life as an example. Everything in Heaven with Heavenly Father is perfect. We would not be able to go back to live with Him after our lives on Earth if we weren't perfect too. Even with all the help He has given us, Heavenly Father knew we would sometimes make mistakes and not choose the right. In our meeting with Heavenly Father, before we came to Earth, He told us that there was a way we could be perfect even if we made mistakes. Heavenly Father asked Jesus to take our sins upon Him. He said He would an dHe did. During His life on Earth, Jesus prayed in the Garden of Gehtsemane and suffered the pain of everyone's sins. We were told that if we believe Jesus, follow His example, and accept His sacrifice, our sins will be forgiven. He has paid for them and they won't keep us from returning to live with Him and Heavenly Father if we repent. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved."(John 3:16-17) I love Jesus for what He did for me. I always want to choose the right and follow Him. when I make mistakes, I pray to Heavenly Father and ask for the forgiveness He promised, the forgiveness that Jesus gives. I want to grow to be like Heavenly Father and return to live with Him after my life here on Earth. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
I think pretty much my kids are some of the luckiest on the planet to have a Dad who not only knows these truths and follows them but is an example of them and teaches his kids the same. This Christmas season has been a special one for me. Being the Relief Society president has put me in a situation to serve so much, which constantly reminds me of the Savior and how much I love Him. I have really been trying to read my scriptures more and it has filled me with the spirit, and a greater love for those around me. True joy isn't in material things. It is the love in our hearts that is manifested in everything we do and say.

3 comments:

jill said...

That talk is so true it made me warm and fuzzy all over. I love it. Thanks for posting it.

Anonymous said...

That is a good talk!

Anonymous said...

Is there a copyright on this talk? Can I get Dave's permission for my kid (which ever one is next) to give this talk in our ward.

I agree with you Heather-to all those unmarried girls out there... after dating some of the lamest guys in the world, I am so lucky to have married a good one who loves the Lord first and takes special care of his family.