Tuesday, November 27, 2007

YEP! I am full of the Christmas Spirit!

I absolutely love the talk given by Elder Joseph Wirthlin in the last conference entitled "The Great Commandment". I can't read it enough. I have to share one quote at least.

"The most cherished and sacred moments of our lives are those filled with the spirit of love. The greater the measure of our love, the greater is our joy. In the end, the development of such love is the true measure of success in life.

Do you love the Lord?

Spend time with Him. Meditate on His words. Take His yoke upon you. Seek to understand and obey, because "this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments." When we love the Lord, obedience ceases to be a burden. Obedience becomes a delight. When we love the Lord, we seek less for things that benefit us and turn our hearts toward things that will bless and uplift others.

As our love for the Lord deepens, our minds and hearts become purified. We experience a "mighty change in... our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually."

The whole talk is amazing. So I am going to be busy this month following his counsel to spend more time with the Lord. I feel so much happier when I do. Because I am filled with love for others. For some reason it is so easy to feel love at Christmas time. I am going to try to keep the Christmas spirit all year! My goal for 2008! Want to join me? It is a way better goal than losing weight. Yuk, who wants to do that? ok, so I want to do that too, but it won't matter how thin I am if I don't have Charity.

I can't post without a picture. So here is one of Lizzie in Utah. It's not one bit hard for me to love this one. More thanksgiving pics later. We had a great time in Utah, but I sure am happy to be home.
p.s. Today was Rachel's real birthday. I gave her razors, shaving gel, mascara, and lip gloss. She has really been looking forward to twelve for those exact reasons. She was loving her smooth legs tonight. We all had to feel them. Jacob didn't understand the excitement of it all. Rachel explained it is becoming more like a woman. I told Jacob it is the same excitement you get when your muscles get bigger (he is becoming more concerned about such things). He understood then. I love this time in life. Alot don't, but I love teenagers. Jacob reminded me tonight of that as he recalled a funny story from the past. He came home from school one day a few years ago and said to me, "Mom, we have to have a talk about the "P" word." Apparently I was much too excited when I replied, "Puberty?!" He meant piano. He had a whole list of reasons why he wanted to stop taking lessons, but he still laughs to this day about how excited I get to talk about such things as puberty. I definitely am not the mom nervous or embarassed to talk about the facts of life. What can I say, it is all just so exciting. ha. (that was a long p.s.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you're back. i was beginning to worry about you. i love elder wirthin. his talks are always amazing. i like how he said, "We see ourselves in terms of yesterday and today. Our Heavenly Father sees us in terms of forever." i was just reading my conf. issue this am over a bowl of cereal. have a great day. love, nancy

heather said...

nancy, I think you are my soul mate for a girl. Is that too personal. ha ha

Anonymous said...

I AM CATCHING YOUR SPIRIT. THANKS FOR SHARING ALL THAT WISDOM. I AM ESPECIALLY ENJOYING ALL THE PRESENTS AT OUR HOUSE. CAN'T WAIT!!! XOXOXO KATHI

hilary said...

ha ha poor jacob-so many girls!

Christine said...

I remember how exciting it was to finally be able to shave my legs :-) Oh to be able to find that joy again instead of searching my bathroom only to mutter 'dang it all I'm out of blades already.' DJ tells me all the time that we are perfectly matched - where babies scare me to death, he loves them; and he's in denial any child of ours will be a teenager, where I can't wait to have a house full of teens :-0

Amie said...

so funny! congrats to Rachel!

Anonymous said...

I get a creative burst from Kelly's blog, motivation to look cuter from Nicole's,and a spiritual boost from yours...well, I photo lift from yours too...hmmm...my goal in 2008 will be to find a purpose for my blog! haha