Saturday, March 10, 2007

For my analytical sisters


I love this little message that I ran across on the time out for women site. (this is a picture of me with my three sisters and one of my two brothers at nicole's wedding (the youngest of our party of 6).


"My poor mother had four daughters and then a son. My sisters and I have spent the last forty-plus years analyzing everything my mother ever said and did. We have dissected and discussed her behavior, her parenting, her appearance, you name it. My poor mother. She didn’t stand a chance.
I, on the other hand, was blessed with four sons. A couple of years ago, I asked my oldest son, Connor, who was then 22, “Son, how do you feel I did as a mother?” He looked at me and said, “Huh?” I repeated my question, “You know, how do you feel I did as a mom in raising you?” “Fine.” “Do you think I did a good job or did I do a lot of damage or what?” “I said fine.” I persisted, “Well I’m sorry if I messed up or made a lot of mistakes or whatever.” He replied, “No sweat.”
So I asked his next-oldest brother at a later date. “Brennan, how do you feel I did as a mom?” “OK, I guess.” “Well, I’m sorry for all the mistakes I made in raising you. I know that I could have done better and I hope you can forgive me.” “K.”
Not to be outdone, I asked their younger brothers who replied in similar fashion. Actually, one son was tremendously eloquent, “Real good, Mom.” He’s my favorite. Can’t remember which one it was but he’s my favorite.
You see, guys don’t analyze the whole mothering thing that much. Can I tell you how blessed I am? Not only do they not pound to death everything I ever said or did as a mom, they don’t remember it! What a gift I have been given! And I certainly appreciate it.
For those of you who were not so lucky and have reproduced hyper-analytical types like my mother did, take heart.
Think what it was like to be a Mother in Israel following Moses around and having your kids say for FORTY YEARS, “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet?” What was it like for Sarah and Lehi where their family home evenings ended up with two brothers tying up their little brother and trying to kill him. Now we’ve had that happen but they always untied him by the end of the evening . . .
What was it like to be the mother of young Alma? “I told you time and again, do NOT play with those Mosiah boys ever again!” and then sitting there crying at their missionary farewell saying, “Who knew?”
Being a mother can be a scary adventure. I think the Lord doesn’t give us any background on these kids for a reason. Talk about a leap of faith!
But you know what, He asks one thing of us as moms . . . “Will you wake up again tomorrow and love them?” Frankly, He asks the same thing of all of us—aunts, wives, sisters, teachers, moms, friends, grandmas---“Will you wake up again tomorrow and love some more?” To which, I wax eloquent--“OK.”

3 comments:

Amie said...

That was really cute. I'll have to look into that website. By the way, you're the prettiest! (LOL, I can say that cuz I don't know any of your sisters personally!) =)

Anonymous said...

good one! be safe driving on Wed!

Mandee said...

I loved that!