Tuesday, February 06, 2007

matters of the heart


January 28th the phone rang at 7:30 am. I knew it was Dave. He is the only one who would call me that early in the morning. It is usually with the intent to wake me up if he has left the house and can't do it in person. (He's my alarm clock). I picked up the phone to hear his sweet voice and asked, "Where are you?" The answer is classic Dave! He proceeds to tell me that he is at the hospital and is checked into a room in the cardiac unit. Delivered calmly and nonchalantly (as only Dave can). He casually explains that he woke up a 1am with chest pain and pain in his arm and not wanting wake me (knowing how i don't like that, having had experience as my alarm clock) drove himself to the emergency room. To calm me he simply explained that he had his cell phone if he needed to call 911, and if anything happened at the hospital he wrote down my name and number to be contacted...no worries. WHO DOES THAT? I ask you. If you know my husband, he would be the first one to come to your mind. He played it off like nothing was wrong and that he was just waiting there for some more tests to come back and then he would be home. With the attitude of you don't need to bother coming down. IS HE FOR REAL? I ask myself that often.. like from the movie kicking and screaming with will ferrell "ARe you a robot, ARE YOU A ROBOT MAN? So, I just told the kids that dad wasn't feeling well and went to the doctor and that I was going to pick him up. I rush down there. Find him all hooked and in a gown. The doctor soon arrived and explained that he had a heart attack and will need to be transported to another hospital (in an ambulance) that has open heart surgery capabilities in case they need do emergency surgery after having an angiogram done. I started crying, Dave asks why I am crying. BECAUSE WHAT IF YOU HAD DIED AND YOU DIDN'T EVEN WAKE ME UP!!!!! I left to go and get the kids so they could see him before he was transferred to the surgical ICU. I had a good bawl on the way home, arrange with my neighbor to watch them after and went to get the kids worrying specifically how Jacob would handle it. As I pulled up Jacob was standing outside. I got out of the car and he said, "I already know mom, (me looking puzzled) I had a dream last night that Dad went to the hospital and everyone was upset and I was calm. He was there a few days and came home just fine." Jacob continued to be a calming enfluence during this whole experience and kept the rest of the kids calm too. A tender mercy extended with love by our Heavenly Father. If something like this had to happen, it couldn't have happened more smoothly. We were watched over in every instance. We really felt the effects of so many prayers given in our behalf and for Dave. WE are so BLESSED!!! More to share but out of time for now. Thank you Thank you for all your prayers!! We are so happy to have him home!!!!!!!!

6 comments:

Syndi said...

I'm sure glad Dave is home and we definetly have you in our prayers. Your story brought tears to my eyes, it's funny how kids can be so calming at times, Danielle has had dreams like that before and you know that someone up above is looking out for you. Take care, Syndi

Anonymous said...

I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE THIS ALL HAPPENED. WISH I COULD OF BEEN THERE TO HELP. IT ALWAYS FEELS BETTER WHEN I CAN DO SOMETHING!!! I DID DO LOTS OF PRAYER. I MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH. CALL ME IF YOU NEED ME! GRANDMA K

Amie said...

So glad everything turned out so well. I'm so proud of Jacob (as I'm sure you are too), and what a couple of guys you have. =) Best wishes, Dave!

lauren said...

wow i cant believe that all took place, i was talking with kel and all i could keep saying was HE IS SOOOO YOUNG. crazy. glad he is doing better. hopefully your doing better. your family is beautiful... i love looking at your blog and thinking maybe one day i might, might be able to handle that many kids without having a breakdown daily..

Anonymous said...

big sigh....it's over for now. yay!

Kayli said...

K, I know you have no idea who I am, and I don't know you...just found your blog by following a few links. But I had to tell you this made me cry. And I am not one to cry very easily. First I cried at the pictures of your husband smiling in the hospital, before I even read the story.
What an AWESOME thing for your son to have that dream. How amazing. Isn't it unreal how you can have something terrible happen and be blessed right in the middle of it? Thanks for sharing. Hope you don't think I'm a psycho person reading your blog. ;)
Hope everyone's doing well.