Tuesday, February 27, 2007

the best things


Yesterday was a good day. the best kind in fact. The kind when I feel like a missionary again. When I load up the car with goodies and addresses and head out to visit people that Heavenly Father loves and has prompted me to visit. You really really really love who you serve. It is such a high. It's the mormon high. ha ha. If you don't believe me try it for yourself. Go and visit an elderly person who is lonely, help someone clean their home as they are in the process of moving, call someone just because you are thinking about them. Do this for a day and than look in the mirror. Look at the light that is in your eyes, the smile that is on your lips, and recognize the feeling of contentment that you have. That feeling that all is right in the world instead of the anxiety, frustration, depression, fear, and discontent that can so often creep into our daily lives. Want to take it one step further....involve your family. Show them how to have peace and joy in life. Take them with you. There is nothing so awesome as to see one of your children really getting it, and seeing that light I was talking about in them. A family moved into our ward and her husband is in the army and left yesterday for Africa for a year. She has a four and one year old who don't even understand what that really means.... dad gone for a year. Mom is scared and lonely. We stopped by as a family last night. As Dave helped move a piece of furniture into the car for her I see Rachel on her own going over and helping her mom unpack and fold clothing and play with the kids. She took the initiative all on her own. I realized that she knew what it meant to serve, to love, and to reach out to others. Nothing could make me happier than that.
The picture above is one of my favorites. It was made for me by the talented Natalie Kidd. She transferred it onto a tile. It sits by my sink in my kitchen (where I am the most ha) a constant reminder to me that the greatest among us are those that give themselves in service to others. I read a quoteby elder Christiansen from this month's ensign that says it all. "there is a calling far higher than that of stake president, bishop, or relief society president. It is to be a doer of good, a disciple of Christ, an intermediary through whom God answers others' prayers. He explains that he fasted and prayed that God would give him opportunities daily to bless and help people. As he acted upon those promptings from the holy ghost that he received, it was as if God spoke to him more frequently because He knew that he was listening. I LOVE THAT! and I know that it is true because I have experienced that at certain times in my life (it's hard to keep that up all the time sheesh). But how cool is that to feel like Heavenly Father knows He can depend on you. That you are listening and ready to do what He needs done. That is the kind of person I want to be. An "intermediary through whom God can answer His children's prayers." Dave must be praying for me to make dinner because Natalie Matkin felt prompted to bring by recipes that I have been wanting from her. This in turn prompted me to actually feel motivated to make dinner tonight. I guess Dave isn't loving my cream of wheat dinners (i love them). ha ha. Anywho...just some things on my mind. ALONG WITH THE FABULOUS NEWS THAT MY BROTHER JUST WAS AWARDED CUSTODY OF HIS 14 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!!!!! that was the answer to many prayers. Alot of amazing things have happened since my Mom passed away. It is as if all of her greatest desires that she had in life are finally coming to fruition. I wonder if Heavenly Father is regretting just a little that He brought her home to Him so soon. He didn't realize that she would be so insistent in finishing up quickly all her undone business. I really feel her influence in all that has happened in my family's life lately. It helps me not miss her quite so much. Although "not quite so much" can still be hard sometimes. So here is a shout out to Kathryn Crepps Reneer. To my example of how a Mom should teach her children to trust completely in the Lord, and be dedicated to living his gospel.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

EXACTLY! miss you!

Amie said...

This is awesome, Heather. Great one!

Anonymous said...

awwwww.
thank you for serving us too.
and it's
kathryn ELIZABETH crepps reneer. (don't take out the one with the Z, her favorite letter to write in cursive)

Syndi said...

Wow, well said!

Mandee said...

Thanks for the reminder, and inspiration! I so needed it today.

I was just thinking this morning about how it should just be a rule that moms don't die until they are really old- because we have such an important job to take care of our family, and how nice it feels just to have a hug from your mom no matter how old you are. And then the thought came to me that mom's can do more, protect more, serve more and take better care from the other side. And I can see that has happened with your mom. She did an amazing job while she was on the earth (proof in the successful and wonderful people that you and your siblings are) but it seems like your family has witnessed some amazing miracles since her passing, too. Congrats to Kenny!

Kelsie Girl said...

Heather...I love you sooo much...as a hormonal almost 14 year old...this truly brought me to tears....loving life...missing grandma...and you...love ya!!!! LUB KELSIE

Anonymous said...

i really enjoyed this entry. it was very touching. another reason why i love your blog spot and another reason why barry calls you the prohet"ess"... :) --nancy