Smells are very important to me in my life. I am being serious. I am a very sensory person. Smells can make or break my mood. My husband calls me and my sisters sensory super heroes, because that is our incredible gift (and fault, ha). I don't think the "League of Justice" is really looking for a sensory super hero to join them. ha ha. Do you remember that cartoon back in the day. It can be a curse. Like I go absolutely crazy around cigarette smoke. I seriously can't handle it. Anyway, I have so many many favorites. I want to document them for posterity, and before smells start making me throw up. smile.
1. One of my absolute favorites.....water on dirty pavement. I guess it is the smell of water and dirt. It can be from rain or the sprinkler on a hot day. It totally reminds me of when I was little in So. Cal and laying out on the hot cement in my bathing suit with the sprinklers on in our front yard oscillating back and forth. My girls know this about me. One time when we were bike riding in Tahoe I made them ride back and forth in front of one house through the sprinklers that were on and coming out onto the road. Nothing says summer like that smell. Of course rain has a similar affect, I always open all the window and doors when it rains. It is intoxicating. I don't understand why people need drugs and alcohol for a high. There are so many things in this life that give me a healthy high. smile
2. The smell of clean hotel linens. I am sure you know why that is a euphoric memory for me. VACATION and rest from the stresses of daily life. I sleep so good when I am on vacation. I love that feeling of being alone with Dave, reading in bed together (and such-smile) not a care in the world. So peaceful and restful. It is usually hard to get out of bed, I fight through it though to get out on the beach, ha. Which leads to another favorite ....
3. The beach. Who could not love the smell of the beach? Enough said.
4. Of course one of every one's favorites... chocolate chip cookies baking. To me the smell means cozy family time. We always made them growing up on Sunday nights and cozied together and watched murder she wrote. It is one of our favorite family traditions with my siblings when we are together. Good thing we added Grant to the family who's family owned a cookie shop and could teach us the absolutely best recipe ever and all the secrets to perfect chocolate chippers. That is the real reason that Kelly married you grant. No that isn't completely true your impression of a gorilla put you over the top by a mile. ha ha. Remember how my Mom would beg for you to do it and then totally scream and be scared of you. I haven't seen you do that in awhile. Start practicing we will be there in a couple of weeks. smile.
5. I can't leave out the smell of turkey on thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is one of the most heartwarming days of the year. All goodness is wrapped up in that smell. So who wants to come here for thanksgiving this year? C'mon how can you resist adding the hot tub into your football schedule. We'll be out shopping (for baby clothes, smile).
6. This is the funny one. I love the smell of coffee. Which is funny because I have never drank coffee in my life, but it reminds me of my Grandma Crepps house. Which is one of the best places on earth. The moment you walk in her house you feel the love and coziness. I think maybe she started the whole cozy thing. Some of my best and happiest memories are going to my Grandma's house for Sunday dinner. She is the best cook. I would love to just sit up at her bar overlooking the cooking area watching her cook, talk and laugh with my mom. Oh, how I love her laugh (that will be on the favorite sounds list. smile). I will never forget the smell or taste of her homemade noodles that she served over mashed potatoes with a chicken sauce. My dad always begged her for that low carb dinner. ha. It was seriously so good. Than the feeling of being full, tired, happy, and completely content as we piled into the station wagon at night to go home. Everyone would instantly fall asleep. I would always wait though until we drove off the mountain. She lived at the top on Mt. Baldy in So. Cal. and the view at night of the whole valley as we drove down the hill was awesome. Than, I would allow myself to drop off to the perfect happy sleep.
7. A smell that I have come to love in my adult years is the smell of Lavender. About 6 years ago, I first found my love for yoga. The sweet peace it brings my often anxiety filled mind is nothing short of miraculous. The smell of lavender is now linked with the feeling of total peace and relaxation. Namaste. Using essential oils is opening up so many other smells that bring that same feeling. Is it no wonder that I am obsessed with them now that you know I am a sensory super hero. Smells can be seriously mind altering, and so many are legal. ha ha.
8. I know I have said it before, but nothing is better than the smell of my kids. i like to nuzzle into their necks and just drink them in. Especially when they have just gotten out of the bath. They all know to come straight to me after they bathe for a smell inspection. I just love that clean baby smell. Yes they are still my babies.
9. OK this is funny. I love the smell of Dave when it is hot outside and he is all hot and sweaty. I bet you don't hear many women saying that. It reminds me of when we were first dating. It was summer and we would go and play tennis all the time. Of course we would meet often at the net for a kiss or two. We needed to congratulate each other when we had a good shot right? ha. I don't miss Dave's short (by today's standard) fluorescent green shorts he wore. Of course I had a pair of yellow ones. Makes me cringe, but it went well with my permed hair. ha.
10. Last but not least the smell of freshly laundered clothing. I don't wear perfume, it is too strong for my sensitive sense of smell (ha), but I love the smell of clean clothes. OK so that doesn't count as a new one that is just like clean hotel linens. So I will share my favorite lotion. I believe it is my signature smell. ha ha. I love the smell of Avon's soft and sensual lotion. I can't get enough of it. Usually I get tired of things. Like all of my obsession kicks that I get on for awhile, but this is different. It has become my smell. Maybe someday it will be on the list of one of kids favorite smells. Because I am sure they will be making such lists, since I have passed on my super powers. Jacob will I am sure be getting a call or letter soon to attend "sky high" with all the other super hero children. I am just afraid he will be a side kick. ha.here is a picture of me with my perfect Grandma (my mom's mom).
NOW YOU MUST COMMENT and LIST ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE SMELLS. I AM ALWAYS LOOKING FOR NEW ONES TO TRY. SEE, ISN'T LIFE SO EXCITING! smile.
PS. I keep thinking of more as I read your comments. I must add.
11. An ode to bath and body. About every five years I allow myself to go in that heavenly place and spend hours smelling everything and leave with a huge bag of new goodies. I am still savoring all my coconut lime verbena stuff (lotions, sugar salt scrubs etc.) I love the smell of lime. Coconut too. Hawaiian tropic suntan lotion is also one of the best smells on earth. Slather it on. Nothing relaxes me more. Of course because I associate it with soaking up the sun, laying on a lounge chair, and reading a good brainless novel while I listen to the sounds of the ocean waves. Heaven!!!
12. Teri writing Christmas trees (which I love) reminded me of another of my favorites. When we first get to lake Tahoe and step out of the car and the overwhelming pine aroma. It is so incredible. It is worth the drive just to smell it. I am sure it is all the fresh clean air with it too. I love to just sit out on the porch and read while drinking it in. Also, while you are there find a huge Jeffrey pine and smell it. They smell like a candy shop.
I am sure I will be adding more, but I am pretty sure i will not be adding horse manure to it Ali. ha ha. Although I do understand, it is an earthy smell. Rebecca loves it. I just think of flies when I smell it. i really haven't figure out a purpose for flies in this life yet. I do agree with the smell of gasoline. But that might come under one that is illegal. ha ha.
13. I just thought of another. A tire store. I remember loving to go with my Dad to the tire store. I could sit in there and smell all day long.